How to Save Someone Who is Choking
Choking is the leading cause of death for children under 4 years old. And most adult deaths from choking occurs in folks over the age of 74. So, it would a great gift to learn a skill to save the life of the young and elderly members in your family. If you ever wanted to be the hero for your family, this is one of the skills that could make all the difference in the world when it comes to life and death.
So, let’s break down this simple life saving skill for you step by step.
Steps on how to save someone who is choking
- First, determine if they are choking. If they are coughing, have them continue to cough to expel the object.
- If they are unable to speak or breathe, this requires immediate action. Tell them you are going to give them some abdominal thrusts (Heimlich Maneuver). Move behind the victim with one leg forward between the victim’s legs.
- Reach around the victim’s waist with your hand and find the belly button with one finger.
- Reach around with the other hand with a fist, placing your thumb side just above your finger (their belly button).
- Remove your finger from their navel and grasp your fist and pull in and up at the same time creating pressure on the diaphragm forcing air from the lungs up through the esophagus forcing the object out.
- Continue thrusting until the object comes out or the victim passes out.
- For a child you will use the same technique, except you will get down on one knee to be at their level.
View this post on Instagram
This a technique you can practice with a family member so you can get comfortable with the mechanics of this skill. Sign up for our free CPR and First Aid training and share with your family and friends.
Comments are closed.